Monday, February 16, 2015

You Caught My Eye Like A Dillard's Shoe Sale

I wasn’t looking for a relationship at all the first time I met you but something about you caught my eye like Dillard's shoe sale. 

Your table was just 2 tables over from mine this summer; Camp 2, I believe it was. Meal after meal I couldn’t help but notice as you would hold up 9 fingers and count down to 0 as campers filled up your table filled with Monday night spaghetti, Bosco sticks, and brownies, or Wednesday morning biscuits, chocolate gravy, and sausage patties. From the SAGU booth or the sound booth I could see you across the sanctuary as you worshiped Jesus with everything you had in you, even after long days of being a camp counselor. I would see you in the altars praying for students and interceding on their behalf night after night like their eternity depended upon it. And I’ll be perfectly honest, there’s just something so dang attractive about that.

That following week we became “social media friends.” As the months progressed from the middle of June, I’ve watched Jesus shine so brightly in your life, even if it’s from miles away through a Facebook status or a 140-character tweet. Beyond the way a man dresses, the degree he has, or even what God has called his life to, when Jesus shines so brightly, that is so attractive.

After a recent Twitter conversation with you, I got a text from a mutual friend that simply read “D8 ______.” After I got that text, I realized in that small moment of my heart skipping half a beat that for the last 7 months I had attempted to push every emotion from that week to the side not wanting to be heart broken having a “social media crush” knowing you could have any girl you wanted. 

The thing is, I'm sure you have that girl you want. Earlier this evening you changed your profile picture on Facebook to a snow day picture of you and a girl that I’m sure “has a nice dose of the Holy Ghost.” I’m sure she’s everything you’ve ever wanted. And I’m sure she loves Jesus with every fiber in her being because you don’t deserve anything less than that.

Nights like tonight I ask myself why the memories from this Camp 2 have continued to stick around like a lovesick puppy since that first day during staff meeting 252 days ago. That question still remains unanswered. So for now I’ll continue to watch you be like Jesus from miles away.



No comments:

Post a Comment