Wednesday, February 4, 2015

I'm Done Waiting For My Future Husband

Having grown up in church my entire life the words “true love waits” weren't something uncommon for me to hear. In fact, it’s what I was taught. For some time, I believed those three words. But the truth of the matter is, I’m done waiting.

When I was just 12 years old I slipped a thin silver engraved “True Love Waits” band onto my ring finger and I made a promise. I promised my future husband seven years ago now that I’d WAIT for him. But the truth of the matter is, I’m done waiting.

What do I mean by wait? 

My, how I wish I could have told my 12 year old self what it really meant. It wasn't just a promise to wait to have sex until I said “I do” but a promise so much deeper than that. But the truth of the matter is, I'm done waiting.

For many years I was deceived by the fact if I wore that little silver ring everything would be a walk in the park; for some time it was, but then relationships came into play. In the beginning of my dating life I thought that that little silver ring would let boys (note I say boys, not men) know that I believed that “true love waits.” Maybe it did, maybe it didn't, I don’t plan on going back and asking them. But the truth of the matter is, I’m done waiting.

What exactly am I done waiting for? 

Have I given up on the promise I've made to my future husband? No. But I’m done waiting.

Have I lowered of what I look for in a man? No. But I'm done waiting. 

So forget the silver engraved rings and 12 year old promises of true love waiting because I'm done waiting.

I've reached the point in my life where I’m open and ready for a man to come along and fulfill above and beyond everything I've ever dreamed about in a man. I long for the day that what I've “waited” for for so long will come to pass. 

Have I lowered my standards? No. I believe with every fiber in my being that the failures I've experienced in past relationships have led to higher expectations for a man to spend the rest of my life with. I refuse to settle. And I'm done waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment